Formed in Versailles by deputies from Brittany during the Estates-General of 1789, the earliest meetings were secretive and few records remain regarding their content. Soon, other members from the rest of France joined, swelling their ranks. Mirabeau controlled their earliest incarnations, joined by Abbe Sieyes, Abbe Gregoire, Charles Lameth, Antoine Barnave, duc d’Aiguillon and Maximilien Robespierre.
- The Reign of Terror and Robespierre
- French Legislative Assembly
- What Did the National Assembly Vow in the Tennis Court Oath?
- France’s Executive Directory
- French National Convention